Improve Cardiovascular Health with Turmeric
Turmeric is a spice that is widely used in the Indian cuisine as it has a very particular flavor, which makes the Indian curries extra special. This ingredient has excellent health benefits. It is not only an excellent natural antibiotic but is also very helpful in the treatment of infections. It also helps to prevent Alzheimer's and is very beneficial for the cardiovascular health of human beings.
The benefits of this precious ingredient for cardiovascular health are mainly due to its high content of curcumin, which is not only beneficial for cardiovascular health but has also recently been shown to help prevent cancer and diabetes among other diseases. Studies have shown that the consumption of turmeric for cardiovascular health is as beneficial as doing aerobic exercise on a daily basis.
Studies conducted on turmeric have demonstrated that its regular consumption can be as effective for the health of the heart as one hour of aerobic exercise. It is particularly remarkable in menopausal women, who at that age, usually have a precarious heart.
This study was based mainly on three groups of women who were under observation for eight weeks. The groups were divided into:
- The first group consisted of women who were not on any treatment.
- The second group of women was responsible for performing physical aerobic activities to improve their cardiovascular health such as bicycling and walking.
- The third group of women was treated with turmeric.
Women in the turmeric group consumed 150 mg of turmeric extract daily for eight weeks, which resulted in the intake of 25 mg of curcumin. In addition to that, their eating and physical activity habits were maintained and examined during the study.
During the weeks of observation, it was noted that the group that performed physical activities and the one that consumed turmeric showed an improvement in the endothelial cells after two months of treatment.
With this study, the researchers could conclude that the intake of turmeric or performing aerobic activity significantly improves endothelial function to the same extent in a human body. Likewise, the consumption of turmeric in postmenopausal women can prevent the deterioration of cardiovascular health by the passage of years.
Why Drinking a Glass of Turmeric Can Be Better Than Doing 60 Minutes of Exercise?
The health benefits of turmeric can be attributed to its primary active compound curcumin. Not only is it responsible for the yellow color of the spice, but it also has properties that can help boost the cardiovascular function, especially in postmenopausal women. Therefore, it is highly recommended that you consume one teaspoon of turmeric a day without default. You can add it to your smoothies, sprinkle it on your dishes or even drink it in a tea. As an alternative, you can also buy turmeric extract capsules and ingest them daily.
Let’s find out the different ways to consume turmeric for the excellent health of your heart!
How to Consume Turmeric?
- It is important to note that in this study, the participants were given a portion of curcumin greater than what is usually contained in turmeric. So, to obtain the same results, you should ideally eat a teaspoon of turmeric powder daily.
- If you want, you can also consume turmeric capsules that you can find online or in any health food store. If you prefer to use turmeric powder, you can also take it in tea or in the so-called milk of gold, which is merely the combination of turmeric with the milk of your preference.
- You can also ingest it simply by adding it in your meals as an ingredient, which enhances the taste of the dishes with its delicious and particular flavor.
Turmeric is a very commonly used spice in countries like India. Its culinary use has spread throughout the world. But in recent years, turmeric has been gaining the attention of scientists, thanks to the discovery of its healing abilities. Turmeric is considered a superfood and it is a valued ingredient in Ayurvedic medicine. We have spoken on numerous occasions of turmeric, highlighting its impressive anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties. This spice is usually included in all superfood lists as it also helps fight certain types of cancer and improve memory.
Therefore, consume this wonder spice daily to have a healthy heart!