Beat Acne with Ayurvedic Natural Home Remedies, Healing Face Packs and Yoga Asanas
According to Ayurveda, Acne is caused by excess pita moving under the skin and breaking out in the form of pimples. Natural ways to pacify pita can effectively control acne.
There are numerous pita-provoking causes such as:
- Emotional Stress
- Premenstrual Hormonal Changes
- Toxins in body
- Improper Digestion
- Exposure to Chemicals
- Too much Sunlight
Other causes for acne can be bacterial or viral infections. Thus it is important to know the cause for your acne.
Apart from microbial infections, acne can be treated with healthy diet, lifestyle changes and using some pita reducing herbs.
Pita Pacifying Diet:
- Avoid spicy and fermented foods
- Avoid fatty foods, sweets, chocolate, alcohol, caffeine, salt, fried foods, and citrus fruits
- Include bland foods such as rice, barley, oatmeal and applesauce
Herbs to Pacify Pita:
- Kutki (scientific name: Picrorhiza kurrooa)
- Guduchi (scientific name: Tinospora cordifolia)
- Shatavari (scientific name: Asparagus racemosus)
“Make a mixture of equal proportions of these three herbs (you might start with 1 teaspoon each), and take 1/4 teaspoon of your mixture 2 or 3 times a day. After meals, place the powder on your tounge and wash it down with warm water.” says Dr. Vasant Lad in his book - The Complete Book of Ayurvedic Home Remedies.
Ayurvedic Home Remedies to Help Treat Acne:
Consume 1 teaspoon Triphla at bed time with water. Triphla is a mixture of three Indian fruits: Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Bibhitaki (Terminalia belerica) and Haritaki (Terminalia chebula). In case, Triphla is not readily available, take 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Amalaki with water before going to
bed. Benefits of triphla:
- Stimulates healthy bowl movements and detoxifies the colon.
- It is a Powerful antioxidant, protects skin from the damaging effects of free radicals.
Drink amla juice everyday. Amla is Indian gooseberry (Phyllanthus emblica). It helps in folowing ways:
- It is rich source on vitamin C. Vitamin C is a natural antioxidant that helps eliminating free radicals, thus detoxifying the body.
- It can stimulate normal bowl movement. Unhealthy disgestion is directly linked to acne. Fibre present in Amla juice can aid in digestion thus clearing up the digestive track. However, excess of amla juice can cause constipation, hence drink moderate amounts of amla juice
Aloe Vera Juice
Try Drinking half a cup of aloe vera juice twice a day. Benefits of aloe vera juice:
- Hydrates the skin thus reduces the frequency and appearence of acne. It helps repair skin damage by UV rays and smoothens the fine wrinkles.
- Helps a healthy liver function and aids in digestion. Healthy liver function is essential to detoxify the body and improve digestion.
Ashwagandha (Withania Somnifera) is also called Indian ginseng. Consume 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of ashwagandha powder twice a day. Benefits of Ashwagandha:
- Rejuvenates mind and body. Decreases stress and anxiety. Calming effect of ashwagandha reduces pita and calms the skin, thus reducing acne.
- It corrects hormonal imbalance thus helping to pacify pita and reduce acne.
- Ashwagandha is a time tested herb that has been used in the Indian subcontinent from thousands of years.
“Rub melon on the skin at bedtime, and leave it on overnight. Its cooling, anti-pita quality will help heal acne. It also makes the skin soft.” says Dr. Vasant Lad in his book - The Complete Book of Ayurvedic Home Remedies.
Natural Face Wash for Acne
Make a paste with 1 teaspoon of chickpeas powder (available at Indian grocery store) and water. Wash your face with this paste and rinse off with water.
Healing Face Packs for Skin
- Make a paste of sandalwood and turmeric powders in goat’s or cow’s milk. Mix 1/2 teaspoon sandalwood and 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder in milk to make a fine paste. Apply this pack to acne affected area, leave the paste to dry up and then rinse with water. Note: Your skin might look yellow in color for some time (1 to 3 days) due to turmeric, but turmeric is a heling herb and is also anti-microbial. Hence, this paste can be very effictive for acne.
- Mix almond powder with water to make a fine paste. Apply this paste to the affected area and let it dry. Rinse off after 30 mins with water. Almond powder can be made in a blender or coffee grinder.
Yoga Poses for Acne
Triangle Pose (Trikonasan)
Benefits of Trikonasan:
- It invigorates the abdominal area.
- Directly stimulates your digestive tract and improves digestion.
Standing Forward Bend Pose (Uttanasana)
Benefits of Uttanasana:
- Enables stomach to function normally and cures stomach pains, if any.
- Tones the Liver, Spleen and Kidney. Thus, enabling healthy toxin management and excretion system, that helps reduce acne.
- Rejuvenates mind, nerves and spine. Thus helps reducing stress and corrects hormonal imbalance, that helps pacify pita and reduce Acne.
Shoulder Stand Pose (Sarvangasana)
Benefits of Sarvangasana:
- This Asana is one of the boons of Yoga to the mankind. It is called as mother of asanas as it brings harmony and happiness to the human system.
- Heals the hormonal imbalances in the Human body, thus helps reducing pita dosha and acne.
- Change in bodily gravity improves the digestive system and cures constipation. Toxins and unhealthy digestive system are directly linked to acne.
Warrior Pose (Virabhadrasana)
Benefits of Virabhadrasana:
- It contracts and tones the abdominal organs aiding in healthy digestion, thus reducing acne.
Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
Benefits of Bhujangasana:
- Stimulates and improves the digestive and urinary systems. Enables healthy excretion and toxin release, thereby reducing acne.
Head-to-Knee Pose (Janu Sirsasana)
Benefits of Janu Sirsasana:
- Tones the liver and spleen thereby aids in digestion.
- Activates and tones kidneys, thus helps in detoxifying the body. Thereby pacifies pita dosha and reduces acne.
Marichi's Pose (Marichyasana)
Benefits of Marichyasana:
- Liver and spleen get contracted and tonned. Healthy liver function helps in detoxifying the body and aids in digestion.
- Benefits the intestine aiding in digestion. Healthy digestive system is essential to pacify pita dosha and fight acne.